What is the secret to getting anything you want in life? The secret is to have goals that drive you and make you excited about your life and for what you will achieve when you accomplish your goal.
We have all used goal setting in our life at some point. The most common time is at New Years when we set a goal because we are “supposed” to. Most people typically set a goal at this time and follow though with it for a very short period of time. Usually by the 10th or 11th of the month they are ready to give up, sometimes even sooner! Why is this? It is because most people don’t know how to effectively set their goals and don’t have much practice doing so.
Imagine that if every goal you set from now on, was achieved. I bet you would start setting goals all the time now.
After learning though trial and error, reading many books in the topic, going to seminars, and having conversations with others, here are some of the best methods for effective goal setting.
1. Be specific-make sure your goal is so specific that anyone could read it and understand exactly what you mean. For example, if you want more money, be sure to give an exact dollar amount, not just say “I want more money.”
2. Give a Time Frame and Specific Date-Be sure to set a deadline of when you want to achieve it. If your goal is to make $15,000, I’m sure you will make that at some point in your life. It might be a few years from now though. Be sure to set this deadline.
3. Know Your Why-In order to get anything in your life, you need to have a strong enough of a why. This will push you forward to attain it and give you motivation along the way. If you have a strong enough of a why, you can make just about anything happen.
4. Make it compelling and exciting-Don’t be boring! Have fun with your goals and make sure they sound exciting to you. If your not excited, then maybe its time to come up with some new goals or to find a better way to reword them.
5. State you Goal in the positive-Your subconscious mind does not process negatives. This do not to use words like “not” and “Don’t” in your goals. Instead of saying: “Don’t gain more weight” say “Stay at a steady weight”. (of course you should be more specific like you learned above )
6. Write Down Your Goals-This is so important as well. The simple fact of writing down your goals will make you so much more likely to achieve them than if you don’t. Knowing what you want in your head is completely different than writing them down. Get it on paper! There are many ways to do this. You can use a word document on your computer or write them down on paper. I recommend writing them on paper because it is more visual. You can write them on piece of paper, index cards, or use the free interactive workbook I have created that you can download. This step is key to effective goal setting.
7. Don’t make too many changes at once-Try to focus on no more than several goals at once. Also make sure to not be too unrealistic. It is important to dream big, but it might be better set smaller goals so you don’t get discouraged if you don’t meet them. For example if your goal is to make 1 million dollars this month and you have never made more than $5,000 in a month, maybe you should aim at $10,000 and then work your way up to the 1 million.
8. Tell other people- Letting other people know will hold you accountable for what you want to achieve. They can help you and support you though out the process. If you don’t have anyone who is really supportive, try looking online in some discussion boards. Sometimes people around you might have the best intentions for you, but might be holding you back because of their belief system. Simply spend a few minutes and find some website on Google of like minded people who can support you though out your journey. Another great resource is the website www.meetup.com . This is a great place to find people that have similar interests that meet up where you live locally. Also be sure to check out Google Groups or ask me and I can give you some great resources.
9. Measure your progress- Be sure to track your results so you are able to change some of your methods to get back on track. If something does not work, be sure to tweak it until you figure it out. Just don’t give up!
10. Have fun-Make the process fun and enjoy yourself in the mean time. If you go into it with a bad attitude, you may not get the best results.
11. Look for strategies of others-Spend some time doing some research finding others who have succeeded and model them. The best way to find these strategies is to read books, blogs, articles, talk to friends, join discussion groups, and using social media.
Getting what you want in life and effectively setting goals is not an easy task, but it is doable. The more you practice the easier it gets. It might take some time to get there, but keep at it. Use these tips and see what works for you. Now go out there and make your life happen and have fun!
Get Your FREE
7 Steps to Create the Life You Want
Includes a free interactive printable PDF workbook and VIP access to more free tools and resources by email that are only available to subscribers.
Just enter your first name and e-mail address and you will have instant access to this ebook course.
**Double-check your email for accuracy to ensure you receive your free mini course.
Privacy Assured: Your email address is never shared with anyone.
- Being Grateful (1)
- Brainstorming (1)
- Business (1)
- Comfort Zone (3)
- Communication (3)
- Follow Your Passion (7)
- Goal Setting (8)
- Habits (11)
- Health (5)
- Learning (4)
- Money/Finance (1)
- NLP (2)
- Popular (5)
- Raw Food (1)
- Saving Money (2)
- Stress (1)
- Subconscious Mind (1)
- Thinking (8)
- Time Management (11)
- Tony Robbins (3)
- Welcome (1)